12 August 2007

What Can I Say?

There is a lot going on in the Hillsborough Township School District lately. From the new superintendent, to resignations of key central office staff, to the possible implementation of random drug testing in the high school.

When I started writing this blog, I knew that being a member of the Board of Education might preclude me from writing about school topics. I asked for an opinion by a New Jersey School Board Association official, and he confirmed that I must be very careful when discussing the schools in the blog. What I didn't realize was how difficult it would be to stay away from a subject that was of the greatest interest to me - our children's education.

To be clear, I am allowed to speak about whatever I want - that right is expressly spelled out in the school board bylaws. The problem is that I would have to issue so many disclaimers, maybe even between each sentence! that the blog would read more like a radio commercial for a car dealer.

The individual opinions of board members don't count - and can't be made to seem like they do. Individual board members have no authority to do anything, and can't be made to seem like they do. All of the power resides in the board as a whole - and the spokesman for the board is always the board president.

Having said that, I may from time to time comment on something that is happening in our schools - generally not a "hot" topic, but hopefully something of interest. To use the blog to try to sway public opinion on school issues, or to pontificate in any way, just wouldn't be ethical.

3 comments:

  1. That’s

    The best part about these types of electronic easily change or deleted publications. If you don’ like it, if it’s too controversial, someone gets to evoke censorship in the name of the better good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg

    I’ve written before and told you that my family is trying to move to Hillsborough. Can you tell me who I would contact to find out if Hillsborough is thinking about implementing full day kindergarten and/or a pre-k program? I understand you’re on the board and may not be able to comment but giving me someone to call would probably save me some time getting the right person. Thanks, Mike B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, as you may know we have recently appointed a new Superintendent - Ed Forsthoffer. Some of the considerations surrounding full-day kindergerten or pre-school are cost, classroom space, and culture/tradition. But ultimately there would have to be an educational need for these kinds of programs - and the superintendent, as our chief educator, would be the person to ask.

    ReplyDelete