|Woodfern School architect's model,|
31 May 1960 Courier News
One of those two new schools, Woodfern - had been on the drawing board for more than three years, since the school board had purchased the property on Woodfern Road back in 1956. But those plans were put on hold when the board acquired the Sunnymead property. The new proposal was to build two schools - a sixteen-classroom school on Woodfern Road, and a twenty-classroom school on 31 acres to be purchased on Triangle Road.
|8 June 1960 Home News|
|25th Anniversary Celebration (more than two years late!)|
9 June 1988 Courier News
Construction took a bit longer than expected, but because costs were less than expected Woodfern School was expanded from sixteen to twenty classrooms, making it a true twin of Triangle School. Four classrooms opened on March 26, 1962, and both schools opened fully in September for the 1962-63 school year. It was to be the first time in years that every Hillsborough student would actually go to school in Hillsborough, with none being bussed to Montgomery Township.
Woodfern received its first addition in 1987 - a $784,000 multi-purpose room - part of an $8.27 million construction bond approved in December 1984 for various expansion projects. The school expanded to its current size as part of a December 1991 $13.4 million construction referendum for improvements throughout the district. Woodfern added a cafeteria, music room, art room, three classrooms, and two small group instruction rooms. Also included was the conversion of the original small all-purpose room to a library.
Woodfern became the third current Hillsborough Township school to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2012.