17 October 2007

Manville Landfill Cold Case File

While researching the history of the Johns-Manville landfill, also known as "the dump", I came across the story of Gail Ann Kalinowski. Two stories, actually, but each with the same tragic ending.

On September 8, 1971, Gail was reported missing from her Manville home. Eighteen days later the body of the 13 year old 8th grader was found on the south bank of the Raritan River near the landfill. In 1971 it was unclear whether Gail had simply drowned, or had been murdered.

When the New York Times reported on the story a second time in October of 1973, Somerset County assistant prosecutor Leonard Arnold was ready to label the death "a definite homicide, no question". Gail had been murdered and thrown into the river.

Apparently there were some leads in the case, and at least one suspect was questioned, but I don't believe any arrests were ever made. Rumor has it that the case was still open until just several years ago when the lead suspect passed away.

I know that some readers of this blog were around at that time, and know a lot more about this than I do. If anyone remembers the details of this sad and tragic event, I would appreciate hearing from you in the comments section.

6 comments:

  1. JH - if you're out there, maybe you remember this truly tragic event from 1971. I would love to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rumor is a cop in Manville did the murder. Covered up as in the case of my brother murdered in 2010. Covered up. Police

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still haunted by this tragedy 45 years later. I went to school with Gail. We lived in the same neighborhood. She lived one street over, & her Aunt Vicky lived at the end of my street. I know for a fact that this was not a suicide. Gail was not depressed that day. Gail was even tempered & calm. I never really saw Gail get upset. Her mood was usually. always serene, calm & happy. Gail & I walked home together on that first day of school. She told me that she was going to go straight home. Gail said she had to cover her books for homework & she was eager to start on it. Gail has really a good person, a bit shy. Gail had dark blond hair with reddish highlights & freckles. She wore glasses & enjoyed reading. Gail has loving parents, and brother. She always came over to my house to play tag & ride bikes when we were younger. Her Mom would always let her know when to be home for dinner or for the end of the day. Gail was never out at night. I remember that next day at school like it was yesterday. I was in the cafeteria and an announcement came over the loud speaker asking if anyone knew of Gail's whereabouts. I had a very bad feeling then. There were helicopers that flew over the area incessantly for days. A grimm reminder that my friend was gone. The sick bastard that killed her left me a reminder for now every time I hear the roar of a helicoper's engine I think of Gail. (Not how she would have wanted to be remembered, I'm sure).

    The night she disappeared, I heard that she was ironing her clothes, probably for school the next day. She left the house to go to the store, but never made it home. My sister helped the search for Gail with the blood hounds. I was home sick. It really affected me. I couldn't even bring myself to go to her funeral. I couldn't face it. My sister & my Mom told me all about it. I did eventually go to her grave site.

    Gail Kalinowsky was sweet, honest, trustworthy, kind & fun. I was very fortunate to be able to call her my friend. I miss her very much.

    ReplyDelete