|The 1856 Somerville Public School, pictured in 1891.|
|The 1894 high school pictured in a 1909 photo.|
There were twelve students in the first graduating class of Somerville High School in 1888. The most notable among them - because he later became a teacher at the high school and then served as the Somerville tax collector for 25 years - was Hillsborough Township lad Charles Hamilton. He was the first member of the first alumni association for the high school when it was formed in the 1920s and was again the first member of the re-formed alumni association in 1959!
1888 Somerville High School graduate Charles Hamilton,
13 November 1959 Courier News
It is possible that Charles Hamilton attended the building shown below in a postcard from 1905. This iteration of Somerville High School was directly behind and attached to the rear of the 1856 Public school. This building still stands today, connected to the current middle school by an enclosed walkway.
|Somerville High School circa 1905.|
Note the public school in the rear.
|The building on the left was completed in 1912.|
The high school was on the second floor.
|The "new" 1924 high school facing Cliff Street,|
now the Somerville Middle School
|Student Train Pass, September 1927|
|The state of the regional, consolidated, and tuition high schools in 1960.|
In the 1960s overcrowding at the high school became an issue. Bridgwater built its own high school around 1960, relieving the pressure somewhat. But by the mid-60s Somerville was no longer accepting Hillsborough's ninth-graders and eventually decided not to accept any new students from Hillsborough - although those already attending would be permitted to remain and graduate. After Hillsborough opened its own high school in 1969, Branchburg was left as the only town still sending students on a tuition basis to Somerville - and that continues to this day.
|Plan for a new high school, 11 March 1969 Courier News|
|12 October 1970 Home News|