|Refurbished statue of President McKinley at the new Niles, Ohio High School|
|"The Orangery" at Duke's Park - later part of Duke Gardens|
|Headline from the Baltimore Sun 5 January 1907|
The McKinley statue arrived in Hillsborough later that year, and was eventually placed on a sixteen foot marble and granite base. Below is a newspaper photo from 1909 showing the statue in Duke's Park without the base.
|Photo from The New York Herald 30 May 1909|
In 1958 Doris Duke formed Duke Gardens, Inc. to transform the greenhouses into what would become the famous display gardens. William McKinley did not fit into her plans. She began looking for someone who would accept the statue as a donation. She was even willing to pay shipping costs. In March of 1960 the city council of Niles, Ohio - McKinley's birthplace - accepted the donation.
|Courier News 11 October 1960|
Two years after arriving in Niles, the McKinley statue was still in the railroad yard awaiting funds to be raised to have it erected.