While many features of Duke's Park - the early 20th century Hillsborough, New Jersey estate of tobacco magnate James B. Duke - are still present and available to be discovered by visitors almost a century after Duke's death in 1925, there are a few that are gone forever.
|Postcard circa 1906|
(Collection of Gillette on Hillsborough)
|Postcard circa 1905|
|1931 aerial view of part of the Duke estate,|
showing the location of the fountain and River Road.
"One of the most conspicuous features of the grounds is the fountain, which stands at the head of the public avenue, lined with trees, leading to the estate. From the center of the basin of white sandstone rising to the height of twenty feet is a massive Romanesque porch of white sandstone, supported by pillars of elaborately carved, protecting and framing two female figures of heroic proportions and on either end of the basin are graceful Bacchantes that balance the central design."
|This postcard view looks east towards the entrance to Duke's Park.|
There is a gate there today.
|From inside the Duke Estate looking west towards the fountain - |
before gates were installed.
|Looking northwest towards Raritan.|