|Andrew Lane Store (left) and home (right) circa 1904|
|Neshanic Mills area - detail from the 1873 map|
"The enterprising storekeeper obtained a concession from the railroad to provide its workmen with food, clothing, drugs and other supplies. Local legend has it that a good part of Lane's fortune were the profits from selling the large bottles of "Spring Tonic" that stood on the patent medicine shelf - and later had a resurgence of popularoty during the Prohibition Era."Lane did so well with the railroad contract, that by 1875 he was able to completely rebuild the old circa 1810 mill and use it as a flouring-mill, saw-mill, plaster-mill, and phosphate-mill.
|Lane's Mill circa 1917. Built in 1875, burned down in 1927.|
|Andrew Lane from Snell's |
1881 History of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties
|John C. Lane Store circa 1900|
|10 October 1957 Courier News|