05 March 2009

Just Sign This

Will someone please explain this to me? Why do some doctors, dentists, and other medical professionals require patients to sign a form about privacy? What exactly am I doing by signing it? Isn't this backwards?

It would make more sense for me, as a patient, to come into the doctor's with my OWN form detailing what I expect regarding confidentiality, and have the doctor sign that. I shouldn't need to sign anything. Doctors are flipping around their obligation - making it seem like patients are the ones with the obligation.

Now docs are taking it one step further. Some offices are requiring patients to sign an agreement stating they will not post comments on any of the web sites that rate doctors. No way would I sign something like that - I don't think access to medical care should be contingent upon giving up your first amendment rights!

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment