Take a drive west from Hillsborough down Amwell Road, and just past the village of Clover Hill you will come to the intersection of Cider Mill Road. Only a few Hillsborough residents will know firsthand why the road is so named, but the rest of us can surely guess!
|Advertisement for Case's Cider and Vinegar|
Around 1869, Zebulon Stout started making cider and vinegar at his farm near Reaville. After partnering with John P. Case some time in the 1870s, the operation was relocated to Case's farm near Clover Hill.
|Advertising postcard showing the cider-vinegar works at the Case farm|
just west of Clover Hill
They processed apple juice, but their biggest seller was apple cider vinegar. The Clover Hill location produced and sold between 2,500 and 5,000 barrels a year during the last decades of the 19th century right up through the sale of the business to E. B. VanAtta in 1906. He built a new plant in Flemington, and the prominent buildings of the original cider-vinegar works burned down in 1957.
|Aerial view of the farm today.|
The cider - vinegar works building burned down in 1957