When the Johns Manville company moved its plant to Hillsborough in 1912, the rural township changed practically overnight. A whole new town sprung up, taking its name from the asbestos manufacturer, and filled with workers and their families. These new Hillsborough residents were of mostly Eastern European descent and within a few years, they began organizing new churches where they could worship in their own languages and with their own customs and rituals.
|Saint Mary's Catholic Church of the Byzantine Rite,|
Main Street, Manville, circa 1920s
|Bells being removed from St. Mary's to be reinstalled in the new church.|
|The "new" Saint Mary's on Brooks Boulevard in Hillsborough|
|9 June 1998 Courier News|