According to the Duke Farms web site, J.B. Duke constructed well houses at Duke's Park in two phases, the first beginning in 1903, then again in 1906. Wells were dug, then surrounded by a variety of structures - it appears that no two well houses are alike. Many are still standing today, including this imposing dome of stone arches along West Way near the North Gate.
|West Way Well House from a circa 1915 postcard|
The only way to capture this scene is to shoot it during the winter or early spring. The grounds today are nothing like the manicured landscaping of a century ago!
|West Way Well House, March 2015|