30 May 2015

Coach Barn and Stables, Then and Now

One building that hasn't changed much at Duke Farms is the Coach Barn. Completed in 1900, it was the first major building to be constructed on the property.  The building provided space for stables and coaches, as well as an office for J.B. Duke and his farm manager.

The Coach Barn and Stables at Duke's Park, postcard circa 1906

The Coach Barn is occasionally open to the public.  Murals depicting hunting scenes on four continents feature in the center court area, where you can also find Doris Duke's 1949 Cadillac.

Although the clock tower is kept free of ivy today that wasn't always the case. In fact, it would befun to try to date the postcard images by how high the ivy has crept, as in the above postcard from 1907 - which also gives us a view of the long lost Frog Fountain.

The Coach Barn at Duke Farms, April 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment