Referred to around Duke Farms as the Blue Boy statue, Lo Spinario (The Thorn Puller) is a copy of a first-century Roman bronze. Much celebrated throughout the Renaissance and later, many copies were made, both in bronze and marble. Naturally, James B. Duke needed to have a copy for his Hillsborough estate, where the sculpture became part of what the New York Herald described in a 1902 headline as "The Most Imposing Private Collection of Bronzes in America."
|The Thorn Puller at Duke's Park, postcard circa 1915|
Incidentally, the structure in the center of the postcard was called the Lovers' Tower during Duke's lifetime.
|The Thorn Puller at Duke Farms, March 2015|