|The Captain Frederick Davey residence,|
from Snell's History of Hunterdon and Somerset Counties (1881) -
notice the train on the left.
|A portion of the 1873 Map of Hillsborough|
|1914 Ad in the New Brunswick Home News|
|1915 ad from the New Brunswick Home News|
In 1915 Becker built Elm Crest Park on the grounds of the hotel. The park included a magnificent pavilion described as having "one of the finest dance floors in New Jersey." An ad touted the park as "particularly well adapted for outings, picnics, clambakes, dances, and other affairs of this sort."
|The Weston Hotel circa 1940 when it was the home of the Nebozinsky family.|
Image from the Manville History Web site.
As primarily a real estate developer, John J. Becker was soon onto his next project and offered the hotel at auction in 1920. Sometime after that, it was purchased by Louis Nebozinsky and family who ran the hotel and lived there. They built a public meeting place known as Liberty Hall which for decades was used by community groups for large functions and private parties. In 1931 they offered to sell the property to the young boro of Manville to erect a municipal building. About a month later the hotel was raided by the State Police and Mr. and Mrs. Nebozinsky were arrested after alcohol was found - this was during the era of prohibition.
|1960s Elmcrest Inn ads|
|1970s Elmcrest Inn ads|
|1980s Wirzman's Inn ads|
|The interior of Coconuts, circa 1985|
|Harmony Hill, February 1989|
In 1989 there were new owners and a new name - Harmony Hill. They changed the place from a bar/nightclub to a straight-up restaurant and banquet facility. They hired an experienced head chef - an immigrant from Poland who specialized in food from his native country.
|17 April 1994 Home News|