14 July 2007

A Walk in the Park (Watch Your Step)

How many dogs are there in Hillsborough? I have no idea. But I am sure that they outnumber bicyclists by at least a ten to one ratio - in my neighborhood anyway.

I live near the intersection of two major dog-walking boulevards - Beekman Lane and Triangle Rd. Another favorite nearby dog walking spot is Auten Rd. What makes these roads popular with the pup-set is that they are near developments, have sidewalks, and are not fronted by houses. Apparently some pooches prefer a little privacy to do their business - and that's fine with me!


Today I visited two parks that are just sitting up and begging for dogs to visit. The first is Triangle Rd. Park, located on the north side of Triangle Rd. between Beekman and Auten. There's not a lot to distinguish this park - there is a paved path that runs from Perrine Pike (a good spot to leave the car) and Triangle Rd., a few benches, and a large lawn.


But there is something you can see in Triangle Rd. Park that is very hard to find in Hillsborough - a true rarity.


Yes - Hillsborough has a pooper-scooper law. Fortunately most pet owners know about the law. I see them out there with leash in one hand and plastic bag in the other. But if they do know about the law, it's not due to all of the advertising! I took a ride to see if I could find any more signs - especially on those dog-walking boulevards - but no luck.


I finally found one in a little patch of open space on Hampshire Drive near Longfield Drive. This field is designated as the Hampshire Drive Soccer Field on the township GIS map - but nearby residents say they have never seen a soccer game being played there. And indeed the field is not maintained for soccer or any organized sport, but it is mowed - and it welcomes dogs! Since this parcel isn't used for soccer, I think I'll unofficially rename it "John Doe Field" in honor of an anonymous friend who enjoys this blog.



So I found a couple of pooper-scooper signs, and there may be more out there - let me know if you see any. But the point is there don't seem to be any where people actually walk their dogs!
On the other hand - it seems we have an overabundance of Bike Lane signs along the various bike routes. On some roads they seem to be every few feet. In fact on Beekman Lane there are all manner of signs - almost a case of sign pollution.

Now look, I'm all for bike safety - but there is some kind of incongruity here. All of these Bike Lane signs to protect a handful of non-existent bicyclists, and almost NO signs to protect the entire public from dog excrement.




And that just stinks!

9 comments:

  1. Interesting because I do see quite a few on Beekman. I think I see more parent/child groups on Beekman than anywhere else.

    More interesting is the number you see in western part. Ask some of the farmers down there and you may get an earful about the inconsiderate ones who block traffic. I think those are probably the club riders.

    Moving on, I don't see many on Triangle, a lot on 206 & South Branch. I do see some in the woodfield area that probably is a mix of local and AnnVan

    Funny thing is that I hardly see any in the south east. Say South of Amwell and East of Willow where you have all that development. Hardly any biking seen in those areas. You'd think with all the kids, there would be more.

    I also see a lot of joggers on Beekman but do see a good spread in lots of other areas. Joggers seem to like the New Amwell road too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. went down Beekman at 7:45. 1 Bike, 1 jogger, 2 walkers, no doggy pooers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spokey, I appreciate your comments, thank you. I may have been stretching that 10 to 1 ratio a little to try to set up the rest of the column...obviously your mileage may vary!

    When the bike lanes went in several years ago, people complained bitterly about all of the signage required, and to me it does seem excessive - especially when compared with the pooper-scooper signs, which are rare indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hardly notice them. You mean the actual signs or the painted icons?

    I don't think you need a lot of signs but it could be required. We are talking about motor vehicle stuff here. Bicycles are treated as motor vehicles in NJ and most other states. Although traffic enforcement is even looser for bicycles they are subject to the same regulations. There are a couple regs that deal with the bicycle / motor vehicle relationship. But, roll through a stop sign rather than coming to a complete stop on your bicycle and you are subject to the same ticket as you are in your car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There definitely should be one along Taurus Drive. When I walk my dog along that road I see dog waste all over. Pretty disrespectful. Also, speaking of animal waste, Ann Van park is overrun with Geese droppings. That has to be a public health hazard and something needs to be done about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spokey, I'm sure that the number of bike lane signs is regulated in some way - and I am talking about the signs, not the icons painted on the road.

    Tom, even one dog clean-up sign on that road, and on any of the main dog-walking roads would be enough. Maybe 1 sign per mile of sidewalk. Contrast that to the bike lane signs where there are several per mile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the goose droppings all over Woodfield in the spring. Do they last to now at Ann Van?

    ReplyDelete
  8. On a related topic, the leash-free dog area at Colonial Park is great. There is also one in Montgomery, but I haven't been there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome midnightdad, and thanks for leaving a comment. Sources tell me that a leash-free dog area may one day be coming to Hillsborough. But of course "one day" could be a long time! If this is something you are interested in, I think you would get a favorable response if you brought it up at a Township Committee meeting.

    ReplyDelete