09 July 2009

The Old Bridge

A few days ago I put up some photos of the new bridge over the Neshanic River on Amwell Road. My pics, taken from the passenger seat as we travelled east over the bridge, only presented the new road surface and guard rail. Nice and shiny new, yes, but that's not what a bridge is all about.

A bridge, above all else, is about structure. And boy, did the Amwell Road bridge need a new structure! It wasn't easy to see from your car as you sped to and from Hillsborough, but it was clear the entire bridge needed to go.

Hillsborough resident and super talented landscape artist Joe Kaz sent me some photos he took of the bridge in September and October of 2007.







I'm not sure what was holding up the bridge in the 18 months or so between the time these photos were taken and its demolition, but whatever it was, I'm glad it's gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment