|Artist's rendering of the proposed Hillsborough Consolidated School,|
7 July 1949 Courier News
Just 20 years earlier in 1929 Hillsborough's first modern school, Bloomingdale, was opened on Amwell Road near the intersection of the present-day Route 206. The first through eighth-grade building brought the "central school" concept to Hillsborough. But its four classrooms - five when the basement was pressed into service - only put a couple of the one and two-room Hillsborough schoolhouses out of business. Increasing enrollment meant that in the 1949-50 school year much older schools - Clover Hill, Pleasant View, Neshanic, Liberty, and Flagtown were still being utilized.
|Cornerstone Ceremony at Hillsborough Consolidated School,|
21 November 1949 Home News
The floor and roof will be of steel-deck construction, and the building will have flourescent lighting throughout. Its heating plant will be forced warm air, with complete fresh-air ventilation, and every room will have thermostatically-controlled heat.
Another innovation was that each "acoustically treated" classroom would include an exterior door to reduce "fire hazard".
The school board awarded construction contracts in August 1949 and construction began within the month. By June of the next year, with construction nearly complete, the school hosted its first event; the Hillsborough Schools 8th grade commencement exercises were held in the auditorium.
|26 March 1965 Home News|
Although we know the building today as Hillsborough Elementary School - and it did begin as a K-8 school - for many of the years preceding the opening of the middle school on Triangle Road, the school housed grades 7, 8, and 9. After the middle school debuted, the Consolidated School became - for a time - Hillsborough's sixth-grade school. Other configurations have included K-5 and K-6. During several school years the Bloomingdale building next door was used as an annex, sometimes for art classes, kindergarten classes, or other grades when space was needed.
The school celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2000 and currently houses students in kindergarten through fourth grade. It is the oldest of the nine Hillsborough Township schools currently in use.