Two hundred years ago, at the base of the Sourland Mountain on the border of Hillsborough and Montgomery Townships where the East Mountain Road met the road to Blawenburg, there was a tiny hamlet by the name of Post Town - so named because this was a place to send and receive mail. By the 1850s the name of the little village had been changed to Plainville and soon boasted a store, two blacksmith's shops, schoolhouse, hotel, and several residences. Today they are all gone.
|Advertising postcard for the Belle Mead Sanatorium|
|1850 (top left), 1860 (top right),|
and 1873 (bottom) maps of Plainville
|15 April 1912 Trenton Evening Times|
|John Joseph Kindred (1864 - 1937)|
|Advertising postcard for the River Crest Sanitarium|
and Belle Mead Sanatorium.
Despite the different spellings,
a sanitarium and a sanatorium are exactly the same thing.
|24 April 1947 Home News|
|25 April 1947 Courier News|
|28 August 1947 Bernardsville News|
|12 December 1956 Courier News|
|The Carrier Clinic today.|